Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Imperfectionists


I'm finally going to be in another book club, and this is our first book. I finished it two weeks before our meeting. I hope I remember it.

Rachman tells the tale of an international newspaper in a very unique way. Each chapter focuses on one person who works at the paper in the present day and tangentially their area of expertise. Then each chapter finishes with a flashback that tells how the paper was started and how it changed over the years. The paper is essentially the main character, but it's the paper as it is revealed by those who touch and are touched by it. None of the human characters, nor the paper either for that matter, is particularly sympathetic, yet the story was a delightful read, in large part because of its European setting which always adds glamor. This is definitely a book I'd recommend, and I can't wait to talk about it.

No comments: