Friday, August 14, 2009

Water for Elephants


This book cover has intrigued me for quite a while. I would see it at the book store, and that shiny pink coat would catch my eye. But I had never picked it up to even see what it was about. Instead I found it on list of NPR's Summer Beach Reads and decided to bring it with me.

And boy am I glad I did. It's about the circus! Train circuses in the 1930s to be specific. What a world. Gruen does a fantastic job of painting a picture of this strange world and the people who find themselves in it. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone. It's a fast read with engaging characters and a spectacular setting. I want to continue to follow Jacob wherever he ends up.

2 comments:

Capcom said...

Sound interesting!

memphish said...

I think you'd really like it Capcom. It's such a fanciful setting and the characters are compelling as well.